The endless creativity of Johann Sebastian Bach is on full display in this first-ever CMS pairing of his sonatas for violin and viola da gamba with keyboard. In these extraordinary works—forerunners of the sonatas of Mozart and Beethoven—we encounter Bach mining every conceivable possibility for variety of texture and form, the right and left hands of the keyboard player sharing equal, independent roles with the solo strings. While the quick movements have all the vivacity of the Brandenburg Concertos, the slow movements offer the sublime beauty found only in chamber music’s most intimate configurations.
- Bach Sonata in G major for Viola da gamba and Keyboard, BWV 1027 (transcribed for cello (Before 1741)
- Bach Sonata in E major for Violin and Keyboard, BWV 1016 (Before 1725)
- Bach Sonata in D major for Viola da gamba and Keyboard, BWV 1028 (transcribed for cello (Before 1741)
- Bach Sonata in C minor for Violin and Keyboard, BWV 1017 (Before 1725)
- Bach Sonata in G minor for Viola da gamba and Keyboard, BWV 1029 (transcribed for cello) (Before 1741)
- Bach Sonata in G major for Violin and Keyboard, BWV 1019 (Before1725)
This digital event is available for purchase until January 6, 2023 at 12:00 PM ET. Once purchased the event will remain on demand until January 13, 2023 at 11:59 PM ET.