Had Mendelssohn made it to America on his Grand Tour, he surely would have relished the openness and optimism that energizes this country like no other. This season’s concluding program pays tribute to that spirit through the music of five of America’s master composers, who bring diversity, invention, and immediate appeal to this ebullient homeland celebration.
- Barber Souvenirs for Piano, Four Hands, Op. 28 (1951-52)
- Corigliano Red Violin Caprices for Violin (1999)
- Harbison Songs America Loves to Sing for Flute, Clarinet, Violin, Cello, and Piano (2004)
- Bolcom Three Rags for String Quartet
- Copland Appalachian Spring Suite for Ensemble