Like a shooting star, Franz Schubert blazed across music's sky for a brief 31 years, leaving behind over 1,000 works that transformed the Classical into the Romantic age.
Four programs spanning Schubert's creative career and variety of compositions offer a rich journey into one of music's most ethereal worlds. A fifth concert explores how the legacy of Schubert and composers in the two centuries following his death have re-worked and been inspired by his compositions.
- Schubert “Gretchen am Spinnrade” (Gretchen at the Spinning Wheel) for Voice and Piano, D. 118, Op. 2 (1814)
- Schubert Five German Dances for String Quartet, D. 90 (1813)
- Schubert “Auf dem Strom” (On the River) for Voice, Horn, and Piano, D. 943, Op. 119 (1828)
- Schubert “Der Hirt auf dem Felsen” (The Shepherd on the Rock) for Voice, Clarinet, and Piano, D. 965, Op. 129 (1828)
- Schubert Octet in F major for Winds and Strings, D. 803, Op. 166 (1824)
2022-2023 Subscription Package
The easiest way for music-lovers between the ages under 39 to experience great music for a great price. A subscription only costs $20, and it unlocks up to two tickets per Mainstage concert at Alice Tully Hall for only $20 a ticket!