Chamber Music Beginnings
Music comes to life in innovative educational programs for students grades 3-5!
Through entertaining concerts and interactive, online lessons, students learn music fundamentals (melody, rhythm, form, artistry, and expression) first-hand from our world-class musicians and teaching artists. Students discover the intimacy of chamber music and the values of cooperation, teamwork, and personal responsibility that are essential to a successful performance.
Unit 1 is offered online at no charge and includes:
• Engaging, asynchronous online video lesson series featuring Inspector Pulse@Home led by a CMS teaching artist
• Accompanying activities and assignments with each video
• Access to supporting teaching materials, including recordings of featured works, and guided listening activities
Units 2 and 3 are offered in-person for only $5 per student per unit and include:
• Live in-school performances presented by our world-class musicians and teaching artists
• In-class activities and instruction led by experienced teaching artists prior to the concert
• Access to teaching materials, recordings of the works to be heard in concert, and guided listening activities
Schools may enroll in one or more units, although enrollment in the entire series is encouraged!
This season is all about rhythm! Students will learn about pulse, meter, and how these concepts are applied in great works of chamber music. All activities and concepts are connected to Common Core Learning Standards.
Unit 1: Pulses and Beats!
- October 2020 - Online teaching materials available from the Online Education Resources page.
Unit 2: Rhythm Up Close!
In-class performances preceded by teaching sessions led by CMS Teaching Artists.
- March - April 2021
Unit 3: All Together Now!
In-school assembly performance featuring CMS Musicians preceded by in-class teaching sessions led by CMS Teaching Artists.
- May - June 2021
In the event of changes in public health and safety conditions and/or school teaching modes in one or more schools registered, Units 2 and 3 will convert to fully online versions.